The SZD 9bis 1D Bocian
The SZD-9 Bocian (Polish: “Stork”) is a multi-purpose two-seat sailplane that was designed and built in Poland at Szybowcowy Zakład Doświadczalny (Glider Experimental Works) in Bielsko-Biała, beginning in 1952. It was designed to be capable of fulfilling the needs of every area from training to competition flying.
Main designer was Marian Wasilewski, with Roman Zatwarnicki and Justyn Sandauer. The prototype SZD-9 flew for the first time on 10 March 1952, piloted by Adam Zientek. After flight testing was completed, suggested changes were incorporated into the design and production began, as SZD-9bis Bocian-1A (or simply “Bocian A”). The first production unit flew for the first time on 13 March 1953, and 11 units were built.
Apart from use in Poland, the type was exported to 27 countries, including Austria, Australia, Belgium, China, France, Greece, India, Norway, former East Germany and West Germany, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Venezuela, United Kingdom, and the Soviet Union. Polish pilots set many international records flying SZD-9s.
- SZD-9 Bocian – two prototypes
- SZD-9bis Bocian-1A – the first variant, 11 built
- SZD-9bis Bocian-1B – improved variant (e.g. bigger tailfin), 11 built
- SZD-9bis Bocian-1C – improved variant of 1954 (wings swept at lesser angle, modified control surfaces and rear skid), 40 built
- SZD-9bis Bocian-Z – modified competition variant for 1956 World Gliding Competition, 3 built (2 rebuilt of Bocian C)
- SZD-9bis Bocian-1D – improved variant of 1958 (bigger wheel and minor modifications), 186 built
- SZD-9bis Bocian-1E – modified trainer variant of 1967 (straight wing tips, two-part canopy instead of three-part, landing gear with shock absorbers), 366 built
- SZD-33 Bocian 3 – intended to replace SZD-9’s and SZD-10’s but discontinued in favour of the SZD-9bis Bocian-1E.General characteristics
Crew: 1 pilot
Capacity: 1 passenger
Length: 8.20 m (26 ft 11 in)
Wingspan: 17.80 m (58 ft 5 in)
Height: 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)
Wing area: 20.0 m2 (215 ft2)
Aspect ratio: 15.8
Empty weight: 345 kg (761 lb)
Gross weight: 540 kg (1,191 lb)
Maximum speed: 200 km/h (124 mph)
Maximum glide ratio: 26
Rate of sink: 0.82 m/s (161 ft/min)